Friday, November 18, 2011

1937 to 2000

This past winter, I spent an afternoon in the Robinson Map Library on the UW-Madison campus.  The library has a massive collection of aerial photographs (among other things) that are categorized by location and available for scanning and downloading.  While there, it was my objective to locate as many aerials of Blackhawk over the years, and I ended up finding eleven images that span from 1937 to 2000.  Over the next few months, I'll post these images, and I hope that you'll find them to be as interesting as I have.

The image above is from 1937, and it's safe to say that there are a few less trees then than there are now.  Many of the large oaks are still near 2/11 tees, 14/15, and 18 tee.  We suspect that the large trees that are behind 8 green were elm trees.  As you will see, these trees disappear between 1968 and 1976, during the height of the dutch elm disease plight.  It's also interesting to note the road the runs through the middle of the course and the amount of bunkers that surround 5 green.  Below, I've added the 2000 picture as a comparison.

1 comment:

  1. Look forward to seeing additional photos. Higher resolution possible?

    TR

    ReplyDelete